May 19, 2008

Gardening 101

It's time to kick my yard, front and back, into shape. The only problem is I don't know how to do that. I think it may be funny to chronicle my progress as I go through this process. I have traditionally hated gardening, but it's funny how your perspective changes when the garden is actually your own.

Right now my back yard has more weeds than grass. I just found this tip from HGTV.ca (my fav) to help me sort it out.

Your yard is a weed wasteland.
How to fix it: Are there more weeds than blades of grass? If so, cut your lawn more often, which will help grass grow and will cut down on weeds (be sure to rake up any grass cuttings so weeds don’t reseed). Dig out weeds by hand and fill space with soil, grass seed and sand. Spray other weeds directly with weed killer (avoid hitting the grass). For weeds in the sidewalk, pour boiling water, then fill cracks with sand. For weeds between flowers, consider spreading wood chips between the flowers, which can help keep weeds at bay (so you don’t have to pull them!).


Consider this step one to out door overhaul at 678.

No comments: