December 2, 2012

customer service woes

Today I went to the mall to buy new glasses. While waiting for LensCrafters to make my new glasses I wandered around for an hour. I was truly disappointed in the customer service, or should I say, lack thereof. Customer service is something I know something about. I worked in Retail from my high school job starting in grade 10 all the way though University. I even managed a Roots store for a year after University before going back to school for post grad.

Today made me want to start a new business. I know secret shoppers exist already, but considering the terrible service I received today, I can only assume most companies are not using the service or the employees don't care. I truly feel that I could help these stores do better.

A couple examples. I walked around RW & CO for 20 minutes today, carrying a couple sweaters, and not one sales associated said hello or offered me help.  I walked into The Source to find 3 sales associates around the cash desk, 2 playing with their smart phones.

On the bright side, I had a terrific experience at LensCrafters today. Very helpful sales associates and quick service. I also had a good shopping experience at Jacob. Attentive sales associate who helped me find sizes, had good change room follow-up and followed through well to close the sale. My only constructive criticism on that experience would be no up-sell. I even opened the door asking about the perfumes at the desk.

RW & CO, The Source, if you're interested in upping your game and doing better for your clients. Let me know. I'd be happy help.

S

No comments: