April 29, 2010

Today may have changed my life

So being my usual dramatic self, I had an experience today that I feel changed my life. I set off at 7AM this morning, ok 7:15AM; I travelled no more than 25 minutes before traffic slowed to a crawl and then to a stop. I could see flashing lights ahead so I knew there was some sort of accident or construction or something. Not soon after we stopped I heard sirens and see flashing lights coming up behind on the shoulder. First an ambulance, then a police car, then 2 fire trucks, then another ambulance - at this point I'm worried and scared. This is a big accident. And by the looks of things people are hurt and badly. Next the LHSC helicopter is circling around. All the while I'm listening to the radio telling me about the accident up ahead and that the highway has been closed down at least for a few hours.

I was on my way to meetings in Mississauga, but didn't care at all that I was going to miss them. I was seriously happy to be alive. I know dramatic right? But really, I was probably 5 minutes behind that accident happening, because I was running late, and for some reason those people got hurt today and not me. When I drove by the accident and the part of the vehicles that were left, I have no idea how anyone survived that crash. I don't know if anyone did. I do know my fingers were crossed then and crossed now that those people are ok. And I also know that I feel lucky to be alive and I know that I feel a little different about things in my life at this moment: work, my family, my life, all of it. Sometimes it takes an event to put things into perspective...time for change.

Update: So SO SO glad to hear that no one was killed from this morning's accident! An elderly -man was airlifted to hospital and another injured, but non-life threatening injuries. Phew!

1 comment:

PKN said...

I hope I am still part of the new life :)
p.s. your banner is amazing!!! did you do it???